9 May 2020

Vegetating

Lovely day - up at 6 and busy toiling in the garden by 8. Get it done before the Heat. Yesterday while I was hefting half rotted leaves to various patches of need I heard the most insistent ticking of blackbirds in the orchard. Really quite manic. Not that unusual and it mostly indicates either cat or magpie but this went on and on. In the end I clambered up into the hedge for a look and after a few minutes located the affronted birds hopping about on a pile of felled branches. And then out of the tangle flew a huge tawny owl! Pursued by irate blackbirds. We know it lives in the orchard and often hear it complaining about the bright light at midday. And just recently its offspring have been squeaking outside our bedroom window in the early hours.

Anyway today... Just pottered about weeding and tidying and then Allan delivered fresh cut asparagus from across the road. So we just had to stop and eat it. With smoked salmon etc.
Weather is supposed to turn cold tomorrow so we must make the most of it while we can.